March 14, 2010

Pacquiao defeats Clottey by a wide unanimous decision

I've just watched the fight so here's my post-fight analysis:

Manny Pacquiao has once again proven himself as worthy of being considered an all-time great after completely outpunching Joshua Clottey in a very one-sided fight at the Dallas Cowboys Stadium.
From the first round onwards, because it's not wrong to say every one of the twelve rounds in this welterweight fight had the same story, Pacman made use of his tremendous speed and workrate to force Clottey in his thick, unpenetrable defensive shell, while the Gahanian barely threw any punches, focusing more on his own survival.
While Clottey kept his head very well protected with one of the best guards in modern boxing, Pacquiao just kept punching too much from every angle, giving his opponent too few opportunities to attack, which resulted in practically every round being given to the Pride of the Phillipines. Pacquiao's workrate was just unstoppable, and the defending champion never seemed to get tired despite some rare punches to the body.
Still, merit must be given to Joshua Clottey for surviving the onslaught from such an admirable opponent, as his head barely suffered any punches, and the powerful body punches landed from Pacquiao weren't enough to break his guard. Also, in the last rounds, Clottey was still able to land some good punches, specially his powerful left uppercut, that worked very well between the arms of his opponent.
Inevitably, a unanimous decision ended up being awarded to Pacquiao, after dominating every round over a resilient Clottey, who despite a very low workrate did enough to stay on the fight and provided an excellent defensive display, keeping his honor intact.

After watching this fight, there are two points I would like to mention. The first one being: even though Clottey is not a top-class welterweight, I doubt he will ever be knocked out, because his block strenght his just amazing.
In second place: if the highly anticipated Mayweather VS Pacquiao fight happens later this year, I will be very curious to see how the undefeated American will be able to cope against Pacquiao's high workrate, not being a big volume puncher himself. At first my opinion about this possible match-up was that Mayweather would eventually win on points, but after watching this fight, and how relentless Pacquiao is, maybe I'll give an edge to the Filipino. Let's just hope Mayweather beats Mosley on May 1st and the two fighters get over their drug testing issues so this great fight can happen.

Finally, I would like to say how amazed I am by the huge number of visits I got today, probably for telling you where you could watch the fight with no complications. I had more than 1500 visits in 6 hours, and this blog is not even a week old yet! So many thanks to all those who visited and I hope you will visit a lot more times in the future because I will be doing this for all the meaningful fights coming up this year!

Of course, this blog isn't just about boxing, it's about lots of things that I like, so you can expect anything in the upcoming posts. But I promise I'll try to make them all interesting and fun. So stay tuned and bookmark this blog if you still haven't, because one day the Legendary Blog will be The Greatest of All Time!

2 comments:

Randy De La O said...

Nice article and accurate too. You give Clottey more a little more credit than I do but your point was well made.

I'm hoping Mosley beats Mayweather. Mayweather vs Pacquiao may do bigger numbers but I think Mosley vs Pacquiao will be fight for the ages.

Randy

Anonymous said...

Sorry for my bad english. Thank you so much for your good post. Your post helped me in my college assignment, If you can provide me more details please email me.